Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Whose...that....girl?

When we enter into relationships the experiences of our past on our environment growing up weight heavy on the decisions that we make within these relationships.
I had a long conversation with someone tonight that inspired me to write this post.
We had an in depth conversation on the emphasis placed on titles and how others perceive our relationships in relation to other factors.
Most importantly (in relation to this post) it was discussed and was previously reinforced by another person who said that, "a title without loyalty is just to pacify and satisfy the naive."
This struck a chord with me...not in a negative way...but in a "hallelujah, hallelujah" African-American church gospel kind of way.
Gleaning from my past relationships and male encounters...it has made me place less emphasis on titles.
Of course, I think they are important, but if and only if they are reinforced.
By placing a title on a relationship, i.e., this is my girlfriend, this is my fiancee, this is wife...
It comes with a certain level of responsibility. Your actions hold more weight and you should be held accountable for them. Anything that you know you cannot do in front of your partner but do anyway is a betrayl of the trust within the relationship that was established by the title.
These titles give us a sense of security, that in my opinion, shouldve been established before they were placed. There should be explicitly a certain level of trust as well as a certain level as respect.
In the end if you rely on this title to define what your relationship is...but you lack the basic principals that keeps a relationship healthy...
What exactly are you labeling?

No comments:

Post a Comment